Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Who Moved My Cheese?

It usually happens that the Universe throws me things just when they are needed. Sort of like a spiritual lifeline I guess. Sometimes it might be that I meet a person with the skills or experience I require, sometimes it might be that I find an advertisement for what I need at the time, right now it’s a book.

I first read "Who Moved My Cheese" by Dr Spencer Johnson a few years ago when a friend of mine bought it. The book itself is not very long and only took me an hour or so to get through. Last week, for some unknown reason, I had the urge to read it again. So off I went to our local library.

I sat down and read it again last night. If you haven't read this book I can highly recommend it. The story is simple. It follows two mice and two very small humans as they deal with a major change in their lives. By the end of the story the reader can usually figure out just which one of the four characters they relate to.

It was an apt time for me to reread this book as we are going through various changes at work. The story reminded me that change isn't always bad; it's how we deal with it that matters. Sometimes change can actually be a good thing. What we all need to do is to constantly be on the look out for change, so it doesn't sidle up silently beside you and scare the living daylights out of you! We also need to be flexible enough to give change a chance. Get out of our comfort zones now and again and flex our outlooks on life.

I'm planning on rereading the book again before I return it to the library. Then I'm planning on putting into practice the lessons I've learnt. I'm beginning to look forward to whatever change and new challenges are ahead.

1 comment:

  1. When my husband's employer was taken over by new management everyone was required to read the book. I never asked for details on what it was about but hubby said it was a good read. Next time I hit the library I will have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete