Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Writing, competitions and Procrastination

Yesterday I entered a short story in a local competition. It was the first time I’ve entered a short story competition. Last year I entered a poetry competition but didn’t get anywhere.


Stories had to be between 1500 – 3000 in length. I found it almost impossible to get to the 1500 mark! Eventually, after many drafts and much editing I managed to write 1512 words. It is a succinct story with what I hope is a twist. Once I hear the results of the competition I will publish it here. Until then it is meant to be unpublished in any arena. I’ve checked the website and they don’t give any indication of when the results will be published, so I guess I just have to be patient.

I haven’t written very many short stories. In fact, the one I’ve entered in the competition might just be the first I’ve ever completed. I always liked the idea of writing a novel, but after successfully finishing one short story I think I’m eager to write more of them. I like the idea of thinking of a plot with a twist. My brain has been working overtime devising different scenarios.

Even if I don’t win any prizes, I’m satisfied that I can tick off one of my goals. As soon as I learnt of the competition I decided I was going to enter it no matter what. Procrastination almost immediately visited me and became my constant companion. I found it difficult to find the time to write. Then my plot wasn’t good enough. Then the twist wasn’t twisty enough. Then it needed editing and once again I had no time. But I pushed Procrastination aside and forced myself to hit the keyboard.

Procrastination’s final effort to stall me happened on the last day for getting entries in. I had to take my youngest son in to the radiology clinic to get an MRI on his shoulder and planned to stop on the way home and put in my entry. Even though I had taken my entry with me, procrastination kept telling me not to drop it in. It was too much of a detour to take, too far to drive, too much traffic to get through and there would probably not be any car parks when I got there. Luckily I’m learning how to ignore Procrastination!

I found two quotes about Procrastination that I can relate to:


“The two rules of procrastination: 1) Do it today. 2) Tomorrow will be today tomorrow.” ~Author Unknown


“Procrastination is opportunity's assassin.” ~Victor Kiam


I hope I can continue to ignore Procrastination and grab all opportunities with two hands!

Wish me luck for the competition!

14 comments:

  1. Cassandra,
    Best of luck in the writing competition. Can't wait to read it :-) ( you are going to post it whatever the outcome , right? )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Victor Kiam quote is perfect.

    I am excited for you! Doesn't matter what happens, you did it right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did what you set out to do even if there was some procrastination...that's a good feeling. I wish you good luck. If you enjoy writing, you should keep doing it! P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog...I will be back to visit yours again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh -- deadlines are my nemesis where writing is concerned. Way back in my misspent youth I had the opportunity to write some articles for a local newspaper. Every time I would sit down to write, I froze. There was a deadline involved. Any other time I could whip out some really bad stuff in a flash. Finally after a couple of months of forcing myself to meet those deadlines I quite recognizing that I needed to embrace my psychological trauma rather than fight it. I am deadlineless these days.

    I suspect procrastination is a symptom of this disorder. But you did it. Best of luck....although I can already see that you don't need luck to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LUCK!!!!!

    I have another word for procrastination = fear. You do not seem like a woman who fears much so do not let any more "procrastinations" stop you from writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quote and so very true what you say, procrastination is the destroyer of so very much if you allow it to be.

    Good for you entering the competition. I would love to see the story you wrote. All the very best of luck with this too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good luck!! Good luck!! I can't wait to read it I bet it's wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And there is one that says it so well. Procrastination is the thief of time.
    Congrats on getting your entry in, despite everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck to you!! And more importantly, you took the step. That, in itself, is a huge reward!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for trying something competitive like that! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! Writing stories is very rewarding. I find that sometimes, characters stick with me after the story ends and I wonder if they will show up again for me in something else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck!! I used to be really good at writing poetry. I haven't written in years though kinda sad. Though my best stuff was written when I was depressed so I guess that means Im not depressed which is good

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck! I am sure you will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jamie - thank you! Yes, I will post it no matter what.

    Deborah - very true! and hopefully I will do it again!

    Bonnie - thank you and thank you for visiting!

    Jerry - I guess I'm used to deadlines as I have to deal with them when getting assignments in. And I still need all the luck I can get!

    Domestic - thank you! I do fear - I fear rejection, but I thought it was time to see if my fear held true...

    Mommy - thank you! As soon as I know the outcome of the competition, I'll post the story.

    Seductress - I think you have more faith in me than I have in myself!!!

    Joy - thats a great quote! Thank you!

    Peggy - thank you! It is a reward for sure.

    Kazzy - thank you!

    Kristy - thank you, I wonder if my characters will come back to haunt me?

    Secrets - thank you. Oh you should write again!

    Writer - thank you!

    ReplyDelete