Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2011

A New Year, a new beginning

I’ve begun this year by looking after me – my mind, body and spirit. I’ve decided to take 50 as the mid point of my life. Yes, I know that means I expect to live to 100 but, as long as I’m healthy and happy, I can’t see any problem with that goal. Besides 50 is a nice round number. For me it heralds the beginning of middle age and I’m planning a middle age that will be far from boring.


I’m already looking after my mind by continuing my study. However, I’ve also started to research my mother’s family which is definitely testing my problem solving skills. My mother’s parents came from Russia and before Russia it is possible that my grandmother’s family came from Sweden and my grandfather’s family was perhaps descendant from the Tartars. All of these possibilities are vague and I’m finding conflicting bits of information as I go. I’m planning a trip to Perth soon to visit both my father and my son, but also to go through some of my mother’s papers in the hope that there will be more information.

This year I hired an exercise bike – a spin bike – mainly to help my son regain his fitness after his operation. However, I have managed to cycle every day for at least 30 minutes and I’m very proud of myself. I’m slowly building up speed and resistance, but I find it difficult to cycle any longer than 30 minutes as, by that time, my butt is so sore I can barely move. I even bought a gel cover for the bike seat, which makes it slightly easier, but not much better. I never thought I would enjoy cycling, but I like the way that I can watch the news or do some reading while I’m pedalling and I don’t have to worry about being fashionable either. I can wear anything I want to, even pyjamas! I’m also doing some exercises for my upper arms and back and abs three times a week.

I’ve been trying to eat healthier foods. I am a bit stubborn in that I refuse to give up coffee and my glass of wine with dinner, but otherwise I’m doing alright. Ideally I would like to lose at least 6 kilos – about 12 pounds, but I’d be satisfied with losing inches and toning up. I’ve been lying in the sun every day for about 20 minutes to half an hour and am gradually building up a tan and soaking up Vitamin D.

Spiritually I’m re exploring the works of Florence Scovel Shinn and Catherine Ponder, both of whom believe in the metaphysical. I’m trying to develop a more positive attitude to life and I’m making a huge effort to watch the words I use and the thoughts I have. I believe negativity attracts negativity and being positive will bring positive things into my life.

So there you go – so far this year has been all about me and I can’t see it changing any time soon! Of course I still have to work, I would love to find more time to blog and I will always be there for my boys. But let’s face it – they are all adults now and have their own lives. I feel like I have been reborn – I’ll be 51 later on this year and I’m determined to make the most of my new beginning.

10 comments:

  1. Can't see where it'll be a bad year with all this in motion. Kudos your way and happy trails, Cassandra. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee and wine are good for us.

    I'm so happy to read that you lay in the sun a bit. So many peeps are AFRAID of the sun and we shouldn't be. Some sun is wonderful for us and necessary.

    Good job and I'll be so interested to see where you go with all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing positive things really builds our self esteem. Good for you to take the initiative to get started on feeling better. As we get older, we do get wiser. Welcome to the fifties! It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great start to the year! A healthier focus makes us feel younger and sexier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gradma researched our family tree and was able to trace some of our family back to 1492, so glad she passed the info on to me so that I wouldn't have to do all that hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an inspiration to us all.
    Excuse my ignorance, but where is Perth?
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie - Motion is the right word when it comes to the bike! lol

    Deborah - I like to believe coffee and wine are good for us! Just watched a program about how little Vit D we all get because we are afraid of the sun. Well, the sun is my friend!

    mermaid gallery - thank you! So far I'm enjoying the 50s!

    Kazzy - I hope so!

    Mrs Tuna - I'm hoping my mother did some of the hard work, I just have to find it in all her papers.

    Robyn - aww shucks and thank you! Perth is in Western Australia - the other side of Australia from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you're off to a positive start. I'm thinking that most things are good - in moderation, so a little coffee, wine and sun are things to be enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ca88andra,

    I am glad you found the motivation to cycle, I still need to do something-anything! Lol!

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! You deserve all this attention that you are giving yourself.

    ReplyDelete